Monday, July 5, 2010

Expanding the sandbox

It was a clear calm Saturday morning . After a cup of coffee at the Auburn Pilot lounge, I took 34H, the 172, south past Eatonville. I climbed as I reached the hills around Alder Lake. I've read Sparky's book, and was not sure if these were mountains but I still tried to gain 2000' over the peaks. I had reached nearly 7,000' before I spotted the town of Morton. Descending at the top of the green arc I made my first call about 8 out. An answer came from local traffic with an advisory. Morton is a small strip on the east edge of town. The 25 x 1800' paved runway is not especially hard to approach if you are landing 25. On the west side is rather imposing terrain rising steeply just south of Hwy 12. The Ultralight crowd has Strom Field buzzing with activity. The advisory had come from a Trike motoring about over the tops of the hills. I flew out to Riffe Lake before reversing and coming into 25 on a dogleg approach. After some chat with the ultra light crowd I departed on 7 and continued East toward Packwood. The valley is pleasant & wide, Hwy 12 clearly leading the way. Packwood at last appeared as I rounded a left hand bend in the valley. Having not heard anything on the CTAF I made the straight in on 1. At 2400'x38 Packwood poses no challenge. They were mowing the edges while I was there. I used the permanent facility to relieve my bladder then remounted & took of on 19. Hugging the North side of the valley till near Randall kept me directly over 12. At Randall I veered over to the south side of the valley and followed the River to Riffe Lake. Having camped there many years ago it was interesting to see the lake from above. It is spring, so it was not surprising to observe the water level was quite high. Many areas often dry, were now under water. Overflying the lake at about 1000 agl was very smooth and provided a great view. Finally we were at the dam then Mossyrock. There are several private strips marked on the chart but only found a couple. I did find Fantasy Field, and circled it. Not seeing anyone I set course for Chehalis. I actually did a proper pattern at Chehalis and upon parking immediately noticed a familar Ercoupe. Sure enough , It was Ercoupe Eddie And his flying partner Gene. After a chat they got gas, and it was time for me to head home. Two and a half hours on the hobbs, and two new airports in my log book. Best of all , my sandbox got bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment