Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Centerline

There is a joke, Why Don't pilots land on the center line? , because they can't. Can I land on the centerline? Depends. When I practice landings I put most of them on the line. In reality It depends on the runway. Today at Bremerton & later at BFI I allowed the plane to drift off of center a bit. A bit more at Bremerton, where I floated a bit due to my unfamiliarity with the flap switch, & I retracted them.. It was still a fine landing but off the line a ways. Yet at Oak Harbor, Wes Lupin field, to be off the centerline is to be in the grass. Even on the down sloping runway it remained steadfastly on the centerline.Maybe it's greed, if you give me 150' of runway , I want to use all of it. If I only get 20', I use what is available. I have heard the argument that one should always practice centerline landings. And the argument can be quite persuasive. I don't relax my standards for the vertical component of the landing, but if I have the room I will easily allow the horizontal part to wander. The question I posed was "CAN" I land on the centerline? The Answer is yes, I can.. Do I land on centerlines? No , Not always, but I can when the pressure is on.

1 comment:

  1. I often land to one side of the centerline on those big fat runways and do so intentionally - the pavement is less used and smoother. Also it's good practice for those 20' runways.

    ReplyDelete