Thursday, February 11, 2010

Those pesky TFR's

I like to stay night current. My currency expires Sunday, so I have been wanting to catch some night landings this week. Shoulda gone Tuesday, it was clear & bright, but I didn't. So come Thursday, it seems passable,a high overcast & light drizzle. Just a quick hop to BFI. Not going over 1200', got the weather what else . Off we Go. BFI's ATIS lists some TFR's, but they all are north of the field, no problem.I was switched to 13R ,then instructed to back taxi to alpha two. We did notice that there were a lot of cops on the taxiways as we taxied to northeast parking and the Alternate Air birds. Vince is a bit bigger than I am, so we wanted to see how he fit in a C-150. If he goes with a small instructor it will work. Great! So fire up the Cherokee & call Boeing Ground,"63 Sierra at Northeast parking with X-ray for a valley departure". they replied "63Sierra, all taxiways are closed, I'll be able to get you out in about three zero minutes" Not thinking I asked "three minute delay?".. So they repeated " three zero minutes, you may want to shut down and check back later."..Hmmm I turn to Vince " I think I heard that the VP was coming to town tonite and that is why we are being held." Listening to the scanner we soon heard Air force Two being cleared to land. The big Boeing jet settled down, made the turn at
alpha nine then taxied to near alpha three. Then the wait till they off loaded and the Motorcade had left BFI. I had the radios on as Tower announced the field open. Flipped the avionics's off and started the engine again. After a quick Atis check, a call to ground got permission to taxi to 13R. After run up checklist was complete we got a valley departure from the tower and was the first guy out, 45 minutes later than planned.... I will make no excuses, I should have checked better for TFR's & Notams. I was complacent on a short local hop that I have flown many times before. I did not set a good example for My fledgling pilot passenger. I may not need to call a briefer, but I should have rechecked Notams & TFR's before I left home. I had glanced at them the night before, but didn't note what time. An important omission that came back to bite me. I spent more time sitting than flying. Luckily I was only sitting in a cockpit, not a cell.

No comments:

Post a Comment