Tuesday, December 15, 2009

It's Huge!

For my birthday, TJ, Lauri & I flew to Mc Minnville, Or., from Auburn, Wa.. In the Cherokee180 it took a mere hour & a half. The Museum built a second building as big as the first and added an Imax theater between them. The Building is barely bigger than Hughes Spruce Goose, But that is still HUGE. A B-17 parks under the right elevator. Under the right wing is a collection of WW2 & cold war fighters. Way bigger than a scarebus380. I was thrilled to see they had added Six. Having worked on the F-106 During my service, (attack radar tech),I am a big fan. It is still to this day the fastest Single engine Jet on record. 100 mph faster than the F-104. 1525mph. The plane they used was one stationed at McCord. The second building is a Space museum. It has all three type capsules, Mercury. Gemini, & Apollo. + moon buggy's a simulated missile silo, w/ a missile . You can activate s "launch sequence". The Imax was Fighter Pilot, about a F-15 jock at red Flag at Nellis. Great ! The Cherokee really hauls the mail. We had to go over 6500' to find smooth air, and the Cherokee loved it, cruising 135= @ 75%. It really made me think about buying and what I would give up. Now I can fly a variety of planes. 3-C-150, 4- C172, Pa28-180, C-182. I am not even checked out in the 182 yet. I need to fly more of these first. If I bought that Tri-Pacer, sure I would "own " a plane. And a fairly nice little PA-22. In 5-6 yrs it would have a runout engine and the skin would probably be shot from being old & outside. It burns maybe 6-7 GPH, & flys maybe 120. Nice for two, with room for baggage, cramped taking three golfers to Lopez. And, I have the risk of a breakdown. In the club, I don't have to work on it, if it breaks I call the club Maintenance officer. All I need is dry weekends. I hope I can fly on my week off between Giftmas & Debbie's birthday(New Years).

No comments:

Post a Comment