Saturday, December 8, 2012

The new Co-pilot

Sometimes I forget but not everybody can pilot a plane. One regular copilot, Corey, was flying with me and south to said when asked him to hold the yoke, OMG, I would've been better off just letting go. He immediately began over correcting us in karting us all over the sky, it was as good a ride as I ever got a dirt bike. I immediately knew was time for copilot lessons. We took off on a Saturday morning, my treat, and made eastbound turnout took toward the Enumclaw plateau. And first I had him just follow through holding onto the controls as I flew the aircraft, then I gave him full control of the open for short periods, while I use the writer pedals. Next I demonstrated the red of petals by stomping them myself. Then I had them operate both yoke and rudder pedals, afterwards first having involved me through a couple of smooth turns. He quickly was able to hold altitude and make smooth gentle turns in the either direction. Really not much more is needed from a copilot, that along with some radio work, and Corey's really a valuable asset anytime we fly. We discussed emergency procedures should I be incapacitated. Since we fly local most of the time, I directed him to call this Seattle center frequency and declare a Mayday telling them he wanted land on one of the three longest runways in the area, SeaTac, Paine, or McCord. Almost anyone can fly down over a runway chop the power and let the airplane settle down and survive it with a Cessna. The good ol' Cessna land O-Matic landing gear will take  incredible abuse. After a few practice sessions, I let him fly from Crest to the Supermall." My plane"and soon we're in the pattern and landing back at Auburn,. Well, at least I landed I think Corey was airborne for another twenty-four hours at least. Unable to qualify as a pilot, is going to make a great copilot, and I can see where it have more adventures in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment