Sunday, February 28, 2010

Because I can.

Recently a pilot lounge blowhard told me that " If you're doing something in an aircraft just because you can, You probably shouldn't be doing that.". Huh? OK, the comment was made shortly after I had expressed a desire to land on 13R at BFI, and make the Alpha one turn off, in a 150. I had questioned the penalties for landing on the displaced threshold and if they would even notice. I know I am capable of doing this, especially if I have a good headwind, but would never risk a violation or penalty just to say I did. The way the statement was made was that anything one did in a plane just for bragging rights was wrong. I guess if I were to believe that, it would mean quitting flying. Much of my flying is just to say " I did it". Would I believe that landing at Eatonville, Port Orchard, Eugene, Concrete and Monroe to be something I should not have done? Does he mean I should not keep myself night current? Or stop taking occasional IFR lessons, with no real desire to fly IFR. Is there a reason I should not have taken advantage of a beautiful day to cross the rocks to Ellensburg? I really enjoyed the Out of the Blue poker run, and flying the Cherokee to Dave Wheelers Hanger party. I was hoping to go to Apex now that it is open the the public. Is there a great danger in that I am unaware of? Again this yr I hope to attend the Fantasy Field Fly-in , landing at the private grass strip in a 150. I often drive from Des Moines to Auburn, pay my bill there, then fly to BFI to pay my Alt Air dues. Just because I can. Mostly, I fly just because I can. The best part about flying , is , just because I can. I may not know everything about flying(or anything else),and I may not be the highest skilled pilot, but education fixes that. Stupid is forever.

1 comment: