Tuesday, February 23, 2010

First Fiasco, Finally Flight

I went flying Saturday, taking a birthday boy, with his dad and big sis. It was fun, we did one lap, I checked everyone , and off we went sightseeing. Sunday dawned a gorgeous blue clear day. I figured I had done my flying for the weekend. I was informed we were going grocery shopping at noon. I just couldn't pass up such a day. My charm, wit and good looks were all used to win a couple of hours reprieve. Despite my efforts we were allowed to go.With Chyanne and my bag we hopped in the maverick and headed to BFI. I had to fiddle with the seat belt for her car seat, but I finally preflighted 12J and strapped her in. A quick check of the planes flight log.... dead battery. Yup, that's today's Date on it. Hopefully turning the key to start anyway, it groans, weakly stirring the prop. I have a booster in the hot rod. After a few minutes boost it fires up. But all is not well. It pops & misses, barely running. After a few minutes trying to lean the plugs and clean them I give up. That took at least a half hour. Ok 98J is sitting there. I leave a heads up about the plane, note the log, and head off in the car to Clay Lacy. Chyanne is so excited because I let her sit in the seat alone with just a seat belt. Some quick schedule master on their computer, a package of cookies and we are off, back to NE parking. I get her strapped in, it is actually easier in this craft, preflight and off we go. "Boeing Gro.." ? "testing" . I slow the taxi as I fiddle with the plug. "testing." Nada. Ok Now I stop. check behind, good , nobody. I try both plugs , nada. I taxi back and get my spare head set. still nothing. I look at the set up, It has been a long time since I flew 98J. "test" Aha. they copy me. Check the belts. "Clear". Ok gauges. Radios. ck. Knee board? No map, no clock. Ok I have my pocket watch. I have a check list. OK I go. Ground sends me to 31R, I run up, call and hold short. "98J takeoff without delay, traffic on long final." I answer on the fly and the little plane takes to the sky quickly as I climb out toward downtown. It's been a while, I am using to much speed , not getting best climb, but still 500 fpm. On the first downwind the tower requests a short final. Ok
I can accommodate them to aid spacing. I swung around sooner and higher than normal, the added speed took me over 31L. I Apologised to the tower and got a no problem reply. finally losing enough speed and altitude I got lined up for a sloppy landing just past the numbers. Holding the flap switch, unlike the auto up in the 172's, we leap back in the air. Ok it's a 150, it doesn't exactly leap, we claw our way hopefully skyward. After three trips around and two gentle landings, I figure my time is about up. Sure enough, by the time we taxi back & unload, the next pilot arrives. A two hour adventure at Boeing Field. It was fun despite it all,and as I write the check for .5 hours I am ready to grocery shop.

2 comments:

  1. Now I see the advantage of club planes. When mine is down, so am I !
    Look forward to flying with you sometime.

    RustedGranny

    ReplyDelete
  2. update: 12J has 2 dead cylinders and is having a new engine installed. The club has added a fourth 150 to the fleet.

    ReplyDelete